A familiar stereotype image that many people have of women in general, is that they love cooking.
Well! Let me tell you, I do not love cooking. In fact, I hate cooking! But, there are many other aspects that I like. Something like, learning new cuisines or new dishes or learning new methods to cook some seemingly boring dishes.
And I love to taste the different cuisines from all over the world. I also love to watch cookery shows. I love to watch MasterChef – Be it the Indian version or the Australian or even the US and Canadian versions!
There are countless other cookery shows too that I see when I surf the TV channels! (And that is when I get a chance!!)
I am a connoisseur of food. But not necessarily cooking!
Why I hate cooking?
- First things first! The whole exercise of cleaning up before and after the cooking process really puts me off! I mean, there are so many vegetables to be cut, cleaned, and all the other ingredients that always fall on the hot stove, despite the immense care that I take. And due to the heat, these stick to the stove and the whole clean-up is, even more, time taking!
- And then there are some dishes that are time-consuming. Have you ever cleaned green vegetables? Despite my careful selection of the best palak leaves at the vegetable market, when I start cleaning the greens, it becomes a never ending process! Cleaning the mud, cleaning the leaves…
- And then there are other dishes that require preparations of all sorts of small things like, onion puree, tomato puree, cashew nut powder etc. I miss one ingredient, and the dish doesn’t taste the same. And my family is like, “There’s something missing this time. It did not come like the last time you made it!” After spending hours making this dish just for them, I end up getting this feedback from them!
Though let me tell you, I do get lovely compliments from my family, every time I cook anything special! Even when it’s the regular dishes, my family praises me! After all, I have worked hard and cooked the meal for them!
- Everyone needs variety. And it is me alone doing the cooking. Doing a different kind of dish, every other day of the week is great but very time-consuming.
- A repetitive process – Cooking sometimes gets too repetitive. Cooking the same old dishes, because one member of my family likes it or maybe at times I like a particular dish. The novelty is sometimes lost.
- As the years go, cooking sometimes becomes a tedious and thankless job! No two ways about it. Families will love you, but cooking remains a thankless job!
- And the clean-up process will always continue to have all the vessels! A marathon exercise for me, at least, when the maid doesn’t turn up the next day! Oh! How I so hate cooking!
And then the best for the last!
How many times has it been that I am standing right near the stove after I put up the milk to boil; and invariably, the milk boils over?
For the entire 9 minutes, that I am staring at the milk vessel and the stove as if my life depended on it, nothing happens. And in the 10th minute, just when I turn around to get that glass of water, “There you go – The milk simply boils over and floods my stove, kitchen platform and also falls onto the ground!
The worst timing in all this is the phone that rings exactly at the same time that I pick up the cloth to clean up the whole mess. I am now faced with the dilemma of picking up the cloth or the phone!!
And the other twist to the whole saga is my darling kid, who comes running into the kitchen and screams….. WHAT HAPPENED? I DID NOT DO ANYTHING!!!!
It’s not all that bad too!
I may hate cooking, but that does not stop me from creating sumptuous healthy meals for my family. The love for my family goes way beyond anything.
I learnt proper cooking only after my marriage. (I had to learn!) And after kids, I became a very proficient cook! It’s all part of a natural process! You learn to cook because there is no one else who will cook and feed you! After all, when you get hungry, you have to eat! And what better way than to learn to cook!
And when kids come along, we tend to learn cooking every other type of meal, may be to be innovative, or to ensure all healthy stuff goes inside! Our education to be blamed!! All the proteins, vitamins and minerals and the balanced, healthy diet lessons that we have learnt in our science classes will be reopened once again, albeit on the internet! After all, that mother’s instinct of wanting the best for the family is always top priority!
And nowadays, cooking times are more fun! Cooking and Kitchen is now more of a family bonding time! The end result is simply priceless!
These are moments that I cherish now and forever!