Tips for parents to make your child go happily to school:
So, now your darling kid has become big! Entering the portals of formal education, from the play schools is quite a big step. For some kids the transition is smooth. While for others, it is not so.
It takes some time for them to adjust to the new settings and surroundings. They are learning to hold the pencil and start the writing process. Though schools make it a fun activity, these children are sometimes not yet ready. This makes them cringe at going to school in the morning. And they end up crying just as the school bus comes to pick them up or even when you drop them off at school.
It surely tears you apart to see your child going teary eyed to school! However, generally, they do become all right once inside the school and out of your sight!
I am sharing a few tips that work quite beautifully in cheering up your kindergartner before going to school and sometimes even at school.
- Do not rush up things when they are going to school. Timing is very essential. Give them the time and space. Do not hurry them up.
- Have a bunch of small colouring books and crayons ready. Make them colour any book of their choice. It’s a great distraction tactic.
- Buy a lot of bright colourful stickers of different characters that your child likes. Make a few charts or even better, a scrapbook. Get your child to stick a few every day before going to school. They simply love this activity.
- Make a star chart. Kids simply love stars and smiley faces. For every day that they go to school, give them a big star and a smiley face. At the end of the week, count the stars and smiley faces along with them and give them a small trophy sticker. They will be super-duper excited!
- Also, ensure that your kindergartener has sufficient sleep. Lack of sleep also makes them very cranky.
- Speak and communicate with them. Even if they give one-word answers, it is fine. They will slowly get into the habit of talking to you about what happened in school. In most cases, these small conversations become eye openers.
- Always be informed about what is happening at school. Any small change in the routine that children are used to, also causes stress, leading them to become cranky and crying just before going to school. Once you are aware, you can always work around things and make your child understand that as they are growing up, they will have to learn writing and other such stuff.
- Speak to your kid’s teacher. For all you know, your child may be the happiest one at school! It is just that school time drop off that causes anxiety in your kid!
- And last but not the least, give them a tight hug and don’t forget to say “I love You”!